Monday, March 21, 2016

     In a slight digression from my book and restaurant reviews, today I am reviewing the play, A Sudden Spontaneous Event, by David Lee Nelson.  Halfway through its run, tickets can still be purchased for the 3/24, 3/25 and 3/26 7:30 p.m. shows, either  online or at the Pure Theatre box office, 477 King Street.  This will be the last locally produced play for Nelson, Pure Theatre's Playwright in Residence, as he is relocating to Atlanta.  But judging from his writing talent, I am sure that we'll enjoy many more great works from Mr. Nelson.
     A Sudden Spontaneous Event is a work of wit, drama, and poignancy, served up by a strong five-person cast, led by Joy Vandervort-Cobb.  I don't want to give too much away regarding the plot, as there are a few surprise twists and turns.  What I can say is that A Sudden Spontaneous Event was not at all what I expected.  I laughed and cried, applauded and cheered.  
     The play runs approximately 2 1/2 hours, plus a 15 minute intermission, but due to the skilled performances and lively direction, (and the comfy seats) the show did not feel overly long.  The theatre is small, so arrive early for the best seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment